A couple weeks ago I saw this link pop-up in my twitter feed. Have you heard about Indie Thursday?
Basically, it's an earnest call to book lovers to support their local, independent bookstores. Shop in your local store. Tweet what you purchased. Spread the love.
I immediately liked the idea, but once I read these reasons to shop indie from Indie Bound, I was hooked -
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
So, I headed over to my local store - One More Page Books. The sales associate was super helpful, and she also didn't mind that Gus the Gnome had a mini photo shoot in the store. ;)
Did I mention they sell wine & chocolate?!
So, want to know what I picked up? Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close & Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
I'm really excited to dive into both. :)
Do you have a favorite bookstore?
If you live in my area be sure to check out One More Page! :)
That is all.
That is all.